(Back to ‘Letter to Pastors 4/22/11)
Pastor Peter Moon Addressing the TCAPS HR/Policy Committee on 4/20/11 regarding their plan to add "Sexual Orientation" to the non-discrimination policy:
I would like to talk to you today about the subject of bullying in the Traverse City Public School District.
My name is Peter Moon and I pastor Harbor Light Christian Center on Barnes Road.
I am here today to tell you that I have been watching these proceedings for a while; today I am going to share with you a Christian pastor’s opinion of bullying.
A few weeks ago I shared with you three types of bullying that my wife and I encountered during our school years:
1. At the hands of a grade school boy
2. At the hands of a black girl who threatened death and carried a pistol to back up her threats
3. From a homosexual high-schooler who cornered me in his bedroom and threatened me with physical harm if I told on him.
These are all bullied experiences; but
· Today we are not talking about skinny kids getting beat up by a bully, though that happens all the time.
· We are not talking about blonde haired girls who are being threatened with death because of the tone of their skin or the color of their hair, but that is exactly what happened to my wife; and the threat was no less fearful.
· We are not discussing the difference between a straight kid being bullied by a homosexual versus the homosexual boy being the bully; but that happened to me.
Today we are discussing only adding special recognition of homosexual boys and girls, transgendered people who are dissatisfied with their God-given sexual identity, and bi-sexual people who willfully practice sexual relations with both men and women regardless of their (GIVEN) sex.
We are talking about our children in school; we are talking about the behaviors of people who are between the ages of 4 and 18 years of age. Is anyone listening?
WHY? What is the crisis by comparison to any other bullied child?
As a pastor, parent and citizen I am here to suggest to you that you are being bullied:
· Bullied into putting special privileges to what most people would call deviant behavior.
· Bullied into taking precious time and conducting meetings to consider these types of special recognitions
· Bullied into conforming to the demands of a minority of people who have a never ending, never satisfied quest to elevate the status of homosexuals over the rights, privileges and liberties of others
I share with you the words of the Apostle Paul when he said;
1 Cor 6:9-11
Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders 10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. [NIV]
There is an agenda at play here in Traverse City; not a fair one either. Any anti-bullying board, individual or organization, that would so single out one bullied group over another is not caring about anyone but themselves and their cause.
No this is about one thing: exalting one above the rest; singling one out as though it deserves special care and attention. Is this oversight; or just shameful disregard for anyone else but my cause?
I am against bullying for any reason, even if it involves sin. This does not reflect the love of God.
I ask this board to look at those who are behind this issue and ask yourself the hard questions of:
· why this cause, why this wording, why not every cause and every citizen with the same rights.
· Why not tell the proponents of this wording no; we are not going to single out one type of bullying over others.
· Why not ask them why they left out fat kids, skinny kids, short boys or tall girls, kids with red hair, blonde hair and kids with buck-teeth.
I am sure that the city of Sodom from which we get the term sodomy had meetings like these too. Until its citizens had fully convinced themselves that they had done everything right.
I am also sure that the desire of the God was to save that great city; but they would not listen.
Pastor Peter Moon